T-Boy Berzas is doing business the right way.
The old Cajun meat man gets hogs from the community, runs them through the kill room then has his ace team of butchers break the meat down for his retail shop.
He’s running one of the best butcheries in all of Acadiana.
We picked up a few coils of his ‘hot’ pork sausage and the minute we returned to the 9th Ward we commenced to building a fire in the backyard so we could have meat to eat on for a day or two.
After a few hours over cured Hickory the sausage was ready for a host of recipes.
A Recipe For Brown Crowder Peas With Hickory Smoked Pork Sausage And Green Onions
1 lb Sausage, pork, smoked, chopped
1 lb Peas, Crowder, washed and sorted
3 quarts Stock, pork
1 head Garlic, chopped
3 ribs Celery, chopped
2 each Peppers, Jalapeno, chopped
1 bunch Onions, green, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
* In large kettle, saute garlic, celery and chile peppers til fragrant and soft
* Add pork stock and peas
* Bring to boil
* Reduce to simmer
* Cook one hour
* Add chopped green onions
* Finishing cooking peas til tender
Voila! You now have an exemplary kettle of brown crowder peas
* Buy the best pork sausage you can lay your hands on, splurge a little
* Camellia is the finest pea on the market
* How to make pork stock
* Add a little cayenne chile powder if you want to ratchet up the heat a little
* Don’t like brown crowders? Use a favored bean, this recipe would translate well to a variety of beans