The Victory Arch (alternately knows as the 9th Ward Memorial Arch) commemorates the soldies, sailors, marines and Red Cross members who fought in WWI.
It stands in the 3800 block of Burgundy Street in the Bywater. We often notice tourist groups posing for photos with the old monument.
This is the second location for the arch; in 1951 it was moved from the center of Macarty Square to its present spot.
Miss Frances Ruth Fabing is the lone woman inscribed on the monument. She also unveiled the arch in 1919.
The monument cost $8000 to build ($113k in today’s dollars)
It is 28.5 feet tall and 21 feet 2 inches wide.