It’s chili cook-off season y’all.
As Fall approaches and Austin men folk prepare to place the shower shoes they wear in public all summer long back in the closet, Texas gears up for an unrelenting barrage of chili-related food parties, and competitions. We spent a couple hours harvesting a good sampling for your perusal: 1) Sep 21, 2013 Gonzales Texas. CASI. First Shot Cook off. Held at JB Wells Park 2301 CR 197 Entry fee $25, turn in 3:00PM. Chili grind only. Sissy Mills 830-857-6247 email firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Sept 28th 2013 Rockne Texas. Leon’s Country Store. Registration 8am. Cook’s meeting 10am. Chili Turn-in 2pm. Entry fee $15. Tolbert event.
Update Sept 30th: 1st Place – Cecelia Stroessner, Austin
2nd Place – Melissa Voigt, Red Rock
3rd Place – Chris Little, Austin
3) October 5th 2013 Blanco, Texas. Lucille Ball Memorial (43rd annual) Ladies State Chili Championship. Yett Memorial Park. $25 entry fee. 1pm turn in. Contact Susie 512-558-1321
Update Oct 11: 1st Place – Nancy Cromer
2nd Place – Erin Murphy
3rd Place – Linda Weir
4) Oct 5, 2013 Austin Texas. CASI. Giddy Ups Saloon Manchaca Rd. Austin, TX. CASI. Chili GRIND ONLY Chili $20.00 entry fee. Turn in 2pm. Cooks’ Party Friday Night. Contact Mama Sue and Papa John Caffey, 512-760- 8789.
5) Oct 5, 2013 Helotes Texas. CASI. 5th Annual Helotes MarketPlace Days Chili cook-off. CASI. Chili grind only. $20 entry fee. 2PM turn in. Bring at least 2 gallons per cook. Contact Sharon Pinnell @ 210.240.5483 or email@example.com.
6) Oct 5, 2013 Geronimo Texas. CASI. Geronimo VFW Annual Chili Cook-off. 6808 N Highway 123. Entry fee $20. Turn in 2:00PM. Chili Grind only. Contact Bill Owen Home 830.303.9903 or Cell 830.481.6311. firstname.lastname@example.org
7) Oct 12, 2013 Smithville Texas. CASI. Chilirado Riverbend Park, 107 Hwy 71 East, Smithville, TX 78957. SOT Pod Cookoff. Entry fee $20, turn in 2:00PM. Chili Grind Only. Contact Joe Trigo 512-589-2314 email@example.com
8) October 19th Pflugerville, Texas. Pflugerville Pfall Chili Fest. Downtown. Noon-9pm. 40 teams are competing. I believe this is an “outlaw” event, no affiliation with any of the main chili groups. Should still be a lot of fun.
8) Oct 26, 2013 Flatonia Texas. CASI. CZHILISPIEL Held at 100 W. N. Main St., Flatonia, TX. CASI. Entry fee $25, turn in 2:00PM. Contact Beverly Ponder 361-865- 3920 ; firstname.lastname@example.org
One of our great pleasures is rolling out through the Texas back country on a sunny Fall afternoon to eat chili, drink beer and reconnoiter with the town folks. Of course many of our readers would shudder at such a notion.
Make your own chili in the comforts of your home right this way: http://www.scrumptiouschef.com/food/2009/11/18/How-To-Make-Authentic-Texas-Red-Chili