This feature really resonates. There are dozens of food bloggers working in Austin, Texas and we’re having a good time cherry picking the best ones for y’all. We took a week off from this column to let things stack up a little-with the holidays we noted that many writers output was a mite low.
But now we’re back.
We worked our way through a giant mess to get this week’s column up. We’ll start the feature off with an “avoid at all costs” list. Graveyard:
512 Food Blog: Not updated in 11 months
A Bobo Mess: … 6 months
Rachel Eats In Austin: … 6 months
Another Austin Food Blog: … 9 months
Aus Lunch: …2 years
Austin Light Bites: …7 months Austin Texas Food Blogs
Austin Texas Butcher: …7 months
Beer Town Austin: …5 months
Belly Bulletin: …6 months
Brave The Kitchen: …5 months
Cake Austin: …6 months
Casserole Queens: …4 months
Cast Iron Consomme: …4 months
Creative Test Kitchen: …8 months
Cuisine Explorers: …7 months
Deliciously Austin: …5 months
Diary of a Pizza Girl: …11 months
Dining 512: …autoplaying video with an epileptic saxophone solo
Dining in Austin: …13 months
Dissertation to Dirt: …12 months
Donna Cooks: …6 months
Eating in Andiland: …4 months
Eats BBQ: …4 months
Epicurean Vixen: …11 months
Now onto the good stuff:
1) Addicted To Recipes crafted a very fine sounding White Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake recipe http://www.addicted2recipes.com/2013/01/white-chocolate-peppermint-chunk-cheesecake/
2) An Avenue issues their best beers of 2012 list: Thirsty Planet, Hops and Grain, Jester King and Austin Beerworks were the Austin breweries that made the cut http://www.craftisbetter.com/2012/12/the-well-ordered-enumeration-of-2012s.html
http://beyondpicketfences.com/ has some good content, not top 5 worthy but we’ll be checking this one out in the future
http://biscuitsoftoday.com/ has some interesting looking charcuterie projects, we’ll be returning to this blog.
The gals at http://bitchbeer.org/ are drinking themselves silly for you. Check em out before they all head off to rehab.
3) An older review from http://biteofaustin.com/2012/10/bar-mirabeau/ on Bar Mirabeau, Vora’s new joint’s not getting a lot of coverage on the sites we regularly read so we’re including this report.
Whoever runs the Cookie Madness site must weigh 500 pounds. They relentlessly put up fresh content (recipes) every formula we’ve tried off this site is golden. Southern Caramel Cake http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/12/yellow-cake-with-caramel-frosting-southern-caramel-cake/
4) A mixed review of Ramen Tatsu-Ya? http://southaustinfoodie.blogspot.com/2012/12/ramen-tatsu-ya.html South Austin Foodie’s less than fawning review stands as a real shocker
Vegetarians make their way into our lives from time to time for some reason. http://kitchen.coseppi.com/ caters to them, take a note, if you’re into that sort of thing.
Epazote Chronicles is mildly intriguing http://mgourmand.tumblr.com/ Love that it’s on Tumblr
Definitely coming back to http://farmhousetable.wordpress.com/ to look at the pretty pictures
From Maggie’s Farm made enough tamales to feed the state of Texas http://frommaggiesfarm.blogspot.com/2013/01/almost-wordless-wednesday-great-tamale.html
5) Mike Sutter places Uchi/Uchiko in the number 3 spot of his best restaurants in the Austin countdown he began (seemingly) back in ’73. We’re confident El Taco Rico is in either the #2 or #1 spot. Confident. http://www.fedmanwalking.com/content/fed-man-55-uchiuchiko-3
bonus: Mick Vann visits Mi Ranchito down on Manchaca where the road careers to a halt near Railroad BBQ http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/food/2013-01-03/mi-ranchito-ii-never-fails-to-satisfy/
That was way more work than normal. We used Addie Broyles blogger list as a resource to work off of to make sure there weren’t some killer writers we were missing out on. And we’ll be updating the graveyard as we refresh this series each Wednesday. It’s just as important to know what NOT to read as what to read.
our previous entry http://www.scrumptiouschef.com/food/2012/12/19/This-Week-In-Austin-Texas-Food-BlogsHops–GrainHillside-FarmacyGourdoughs-Public-HouseChen-Z?adminview=true
get in touch http://www.scrumptiouschef.com/food/contact.cfm